If we expect to survive when SHTF, it’s important to have the resources to prevent infection.
Cuts and scrapes aren’t the only things that can lead to deadly infection. Any break in the skin can allow germs and pathogens into the body. And if you don’t have the means to kill them off, your negligence could prove fatal.
Store-bought antiseptics are very useful. However, when SHTF you can bet all grocery stores, pharmacies and doctors’ offices will be inaccessible and/or cleared out. And when that happens you’re going to need a homemade antiseptic you can make/use at a moment’s notice.
That’s why you’ll want to know this information on how to…
Prevent Infection When SHTF With These DIY Solutions
How To Make Dakin’s Solution
Things You’ll Need:
- Baking soda
- Jar with a lid
- Clorox (or other household bleach – must NOT be thick or scented bleach)
- Pan with lid
- Measuring cup
What To Do
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water.
- Boil 4 cups of water for 15 minutes in the pan.
- Turn off the heat and add 1/2 tsp baking soda.
- Measure out the appropriate amount of bleach based on the strength of the solution you want:
- Full strength: Add 95 ml of bleach
- Half strength: Add 48 ml of bleach
- 1/4 strength: Add 24 ml of bleach
- 1/8 strength: add 14 ml of bleach
- Add the bleach to the water and stir to combine.
- Pour the solution into the jar and seal tightly.
- Store the solution in a dark cupboard, or cover completely with aluminum foil. Keeps for one month (so stick a label on the jar and write today’s date onto it).
Want a visual showing the process? Check out the video below.
How To Make Sugardine
Sugardine is a combination of sugar and iodine that is known for treating wounds on horses. However, it can also be useful for humans to use as antiseptic during an emergency.
This solution is effective because iodine contains antiseptic properties. In addition, sugar is known to help prevent bacteria and fungal growth.
To make it, combine 1 part iodine with 2 parts white sugar and stir. The mixture should end up having a similar consistency to peanut butter. Store in a sealed, sterile jar.
Here’s a video of the process: