Connect with us

Politics

Supreme Court weighs ‘remain in Mexico’ immigration dispute

The U.S. Supreme Court on Tuesday is set to consider Joe Biden’s bid to rescind a hardline immigration policy begun under his predecessor Donald Trump that forced tens of thousands of migrants to stay in Mexico to await U.S. hearings on their asylum claims.

The justices are scheduled to hear oral arguments in a Biden administration appeal of a lower court ruling that reinstated Trump’s “remain in Mexico” policy after the Republican-led states of Texas and Missouri sued to maintain the program. Biden suspended the policy, which changed longstanding U.S. practice, shortly after taking office last year.

Trump’s administration adopted the policy, formally known as the “Migrant Protection Protocols,” in response to an increase in migration along the U.S.-Mexican border in 2018. The policy prevented certain non-Mexican migrants, including asylum seekers fearing persecution in their home countries, from being released into the United States to await immigration proceedings, instead returning them to Mexico.

The dispute centers on how much discretion the Supreme Court, which has a 6-3 conservative majority, thinks Biden and his administration have to change course on immigration policy.

In its appeal to the justices, Biden’s administration said it is being “forced to reinstate and indefinitely continue a controversial policy” that exposes migrants to safety risks, harms relations with Mexico and is not the best tool for deterring illegal immigration.

The administration also said that the lower courts are unacceptably interfering with the historically broad authority that U.S. presidents have held over immigration and foreign affairs – a principle that the Supreme Court has long endorsed including in cases when Trump was president.

At issue in the case is the meaning of a provision of a 1996 U.S. immigration law that says U.S. officials “may return” certain immigrants to Mexican territory pending immigration proceedings. Biden’s administration said the provision is “unmistakably” discretionary and that the lower court’s decision means that every presidential administration “has been in open and systemic violation” of the law since it was created.

Administrations prior to Trump’s presidency had used the provision on a limited basis. For migrants who do not pose a security risk, immigration law separately allows their release into the United States pending a hearing, a practice that officials have followed for decades.

Roughly 68,000 people fell under the “remain in Mexico” policy from the time it took effect in 2019 until Biden suspended it in 2021.

Biden’s fellow Democrats and immigration advocates criticized the Trump policy, saying migrants stuck in Mexican border cities have faced kidnappings and other dangers.

The number of migrants caught crossing the U.S.-Mexico border has reached record highs recently. Republicans have criticized Biden’s immigration policies and contend that the “remain in Mexico” policy effectively deterred unlawful migration.

Texas and Missouri challenged the Biden administration’s move to scrap the policy, including a memo terminating the program issued last June.

After a federal judge reinstated the program, the Supreme Court last August refused a Biden administration request to block that ruling while the government pursued an appeal.

The New Orleans-based 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled in December that because the government does not have the capacity to detain all migrants who are not eligible for admission pending a hearing, it must maintain “remain in Mexico.”

(Reporting by Andrew Chung; Editing by Will Dunham)

tagreuters.com2022binary_LYNXNPEI3P0E9-BASEIMAGE

– Advertisement –



Source
Supreme Court weighs ‘remain in Mexico’ immigration dispute is written by Wolf Daily for wolfdaily.com

Continue Reading

Featured

Trump Responds to Secret Service Director’s Resignation

Trump Responds to Secret Service Director's Resignation

(ConcernedPatriot.com) – President Donald Trump responded to Kimberly Cheatle’s statement on Tuesday that she was leaving her role as director of the Secret Service due to criticism of the way her organization handled the recent attempt on the previous president’s life.

Trump said, “She never gave me proper protection, so I ended up having to take a bullet for democracy,” in an afternoon interview with Fox News Digital.

He said that his campaign made multiple requests for more protection, which the agency either flatly denied or disregarded.

“Many requests were made by on-site Secret Service for more people, always with a turn down or no response,” Trump told the news outlet. “I have the biggest crowds in history, and they should be treated accordingly.”

He added, “Big improvements have been made over the last week,” Fox News Digital reported.

Cheatle announced her resignation in writing to the Secret Service on Tuesday morning, despite her earlier refusal to do so.

“To the Men and Women of the U.S. Secret Service, The Secret Service’s solemn mission is to protect our nation’s leaders and financial infrastructure,” Cheatle wrote. “On July 13th, we fell short on that mission.”

She was under pressure to step down during Monday’s House Oversight Committee hearing, as she acknowledged that the agency’s reaction to the attempted assassination was a “failure.” This pressure came from all sides of the aisle.

According to a recent press release, United States Representative Nancy Mace (R-S.C.) submitted a motion that evening that would have forced a vote in the House to impeach Cheatle following her initial refusal to step down on Monday.

In response to Mace’s question during the hearing on whether the agency’s response was “a colossal failure,” the director said, “Yes.” Mace attacked the Secret Service for its lack of openness, pointing out that Cheatle’s testimony had to be subpoenaed by legislators.

Before the hearing, she accused the director of leaking her opening statement to several media sites.

When asked how often the agency had turned down the Trump campaign’s demands for more security throughout her testimony, Cheatle remained silent.

During the committee’s opening remarks, she acknowledged that the Secret Service’s reaction to the attempted assassination was “the most significant operational failure of the agency in decades.”

Nevertheless, she insisted that she was “the best person” to run the organization then.

President Joe Biden issued a statement acknowledging Cheatle’s decision and expressing gratitude for her service on Tuesday afternoon, following her resignation in response to the growing calls for her resignation.

“As a leader, it takes honor, courage, and incredible integrity to take full responsibility for an organization tasked with one of the most challenging jobs in public service,” the statement read. “The independent review to get to the bottom of what happened on July 13th continues, and I look forward to assessing its conclusions. We all know what happened that day can never happen again.”

During her hearing before the committee on Monday, Cheatle stated that the agency’s ongoing initial internal assessment would take around sixty days.

Do you believe there should be a criminal investigation into the Secret Service Director’s lack of security for President Trump?

Copyright 2024. ConcernedPatriot.com

Continue Reading

Featured

Harris Campaign Begins Vetting Process for Top VP Contenders

Harris Campaign Begins Vetting Process for Top VP Contenders

(ConcernedPatriot.com) – The competition to become Vice President Kamala Harris’s running partner is intensifying. It has been reported that her campaign has sent screening papers to several prominent Democrats.

Senator Mark Kelly (D-AZ) and Governor Josh Shapiro (D-PA), seen as strong candidates from crucial battleground states, are leading the pack.

Harris’s campaign carefully evaluates potential vice presidential candidates as she seeks the Democratic presidential nomination.

Alongside Kelly and Shapiro, governors Roy Cooper (D-NC), Gretchen Whitmer (D-MI), Tim Walz (D-MN), and J.B. Pritzker (D-IL) have also been given vetting paperwork. However, Pritzker has denied receiving such materials.

One notable omission from the list is Governor Andy Beshear (D-KY), who many see as a leading contender.

Beshear stated that despite vigorous campaigning for the position, he had not received any correspondence from the Harris campaign concerning the vice-presidential screening procedure.

The selection process is underway as Harris’s team looks to enhance its ticket with a running mate who will appeal to a wide range of voters and strengthen support in key states.

Kelly and Shapiro are perceived as centrist leaders who, due to their considerable political backgrounds, have the potential to draw in moderate voters.

Kelly, the current senator from Arizona and a former astronaut, has a proven track record in Arizona.

At the same time, Shapiro’s leadership in Pennsylvania is distinguished by his emphasis on progressive ideals and his ability to win elections in a swing state.

The main goal of her campaign plan seems to be selecting a running mate who can enhance Harris’s program and increase the Democratic ticket’s appeal to a wide range of voters in essential areas and demographics.

The fact that there are several governors indicates that candidates with executive expertise and a track record of successful leadership are preferred.

The screening process is anticipated to be rigorous, involving a detailed review of the candidates’ public personas and political positions and significant background investigations.

The campaign’s final choice will probably try to strike a compromise between political tactics and the requirement for a solid and cooperative alliance in the White House.

As the Democratic National Convention draws near, there is growing conjecture and expectation over Harris’s final choice for her ticket partner.

The chosen vice-presidential candidate will be crucial to the party’s unity and mobilization of the electorate before the November election.

Does it matter who Harris selects as her VP as she goes against the Trump/Vance ticket?

Copyright 2024. ConcernedPatriot.com

Continue Reading

Featured

BREAKING: JOE BIDEN DROPS OUT!

BREAKING: JOE BIDEN DROPS OUT!

(ConcernedPatriot.com) – Joe Biden has decided not to run for reelection.

On Sunday afternoon, Biden declared his plan and promised to provide further details shortly.

“It has been the greatest honor of my life to serve as your President,” Biden’s statement read. “And while it has been my intention to seek reelection, I believe it is in the best interest of my party and the country for me to stand down and to focus solely on fulfilling my duties as President for the remainder of my term.”

Although Vice President Kamala Harris was expressly endorsed as his successor, he congratulated her in his statement for “being an extraordinary partner in all this work.”

But Biden later gave “my full support and endorsement for Kamala to be the nominee of our party this year” in a statement uploaded on X.

Then, in a powerful message to Democrats, Biden urged them to unite and defeat Trump, emphasizing the importance of collective action in the upcoming election.

Do you believe VP Kamala Harris will be the 2024 Democratic presidential nominee?

Copyright 2024. ConcernedPatriot.com

Continue Reading

Trending